Thursday, July 7, 2011


Phosphorescent returned to the worktab covering four furlongs in 48:00 (1 of 7) on Sunday at Parx. Lupe said, “He went very nice. This was one of his better works; he normally is a pretty slow work horse.” The plan is to breeze Phosphorescent out of the gate next week to make sure he is sharp and on his toes. At that time, Lupe plans to begin lobbying for an extra “money allowance” going short of the turf at Parx. There is a very good chance we see him back in the starting gate before the end of this month.

We would love to use the allowance race as a prep for the $250,000 Turf Monster Stakes going 5 furlongs on the turf on Monday, September 5th at Parx. The PA Governor’s Cup at Penn National on July 31st probably isn’t going to be an option this year. With the minor setback Phosphorescent had in June (spiking a temperature), we’d really like to run in an allowance race off the bench before coming back in a stake.

The Defense Rests worked four furlongs in 49:17 (11 of 17) on Friday (July 1st) at Belmont. He followed that with a five furlong work in 1.02:05 (5 of 8) this morning at Belmont. Mike said, “He got a little bit tired toward the end of the work, but got a good blow out of it.”

We found out this afternoon that there is an extra maiden special weight going 6 furlongs on the dirt on Monday, July 11th at Parx. If TDR looks good tomorrow morning, Mike plans to enter. Be on the lookout for an entry alert tomorrow afternoon.

Mr. Fantasy worked three furlongs in 36:40 (3 of 14) on Thursday (June 30th)  at Belmont. He followed that with a half mile breeze in 49:01 (3 of 10) on Wednesday. Mike reports that they were both steady efforts, and most importantly Mr. Fantasy came out of them in good shape. If everything continues on track, the plan would be to see him in a race this summer at Saratoga.

Tuesday’s conference call with Mike. He references Mr. Fantasy about 12:30 into the call. Mike says, “If I had to venture a guess, I would say he is is 50-50 to make the races because of his ankles. We are doing everything we can for him. He stands in an ice tub for thirty minutes every day and is on medication to help build up his cartilage in his joints and to help his breathing along. We take the best care of him we can. He will let us know. He’s been good to everybody, and when he gets on the racetrack, he kind of forgets what’s going on with him physically because he’s such a dam good racehorse.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.