Phosphorescent is doing well. Lupe nominated him to the $200,000 Pennsylvania Governor's Cup going 5 furlongs on the turf on July 31st at Penn National. We take a look at that spot as well as the "three other than" allowance on July 30th at Saratoga. We would enter on July 26th for the race at Saratoga, and July 28th for the stake race. So, we could potentially enter both races and handicap them to see which spot is more logical. We would also factor in the weather forecast, as we do not want to run if the races are taken off the turf.
Mr. Fantasy breezed an easy three furlongs in 38:26 at Belmont this morning over the training track. The rider did not ask him for too much speed since it is so humid and also since it is Mr. Fantasy's first work back since the Decathlon Stakes. Mike reports that he went well and cooled out fine. He is still a little bit tender where he grabbed himself in that last race, but the sores are healed enough that we can continue training.
The Defense Rests had a routine week at Stonewall Farm. He will be on complete stall rest for one more week before starting a handwalking regime for a month. After this time, he will be turned out in a small paddock for about two weeks. The vet will then reevaluate him and take x-rays to see if the hairline fracture is healed. We are hopeful that after this two month period he can go back into training. It all depends on the horse. Some take less time to heal, some take more, but the vet at the track was quite confident that in two months he will be as good as new.
Maria's Mon colt developed a skin reaction on his legs that caused him to miss three days of training this week. He went back to the track yesterday and jogged. He will resume galloping by the end of the week. Since we are missing about a week of full training, there is an outside chance we will make the Saratoga meet. Realistically we are looking at an early fall start at Belmont.
Adventures in horse racing
- ► 2012 (83)
- ► 2011 (128)
- ▼ July (17)